“Lasagna is just spaghetti flavored cake”
Not only does this ring true, but I, as well as picky kids love both spaghetti and cake. If my mom would have said this to me as a kid I would have eaten so much more lasagna!
As great as lasagna is, sometimes it can seem a bit…old fashioned. At Newdie Mag we love to shake things up a bit, so here are two recipes that puts traditional, old fashioned “Spaghetti cake” to shame!
“White Cake” – A Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
- 1 (8 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 mushrooms, diced
- 1 roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 cup ricotta
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and rinse with cold water.
- In a saucepan over low heat, mix together heavy cream, cream of mushroom soup, Parmesan cheese, and butter. Simmer, stirring frequently, until well blended.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in olive oil until tender, then add garlic and mushrooms. Mix in the chicken, and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish with enough of the cream sauce mixture to coat. Layer with 1/3 of the lasagna noodles, 1/2 cup ricotta, 1/2 the chicken mixture, and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with 1/3 the cream sauce mixture, and repeat the layers. Place the remaining noodles on top, and spread with remaining sauce.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until brown and bubbly. Top with the remaining mozzarella, and continue baking until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
“Cake Batter” – A Lasagna Dip – *A super easy recipe*
- 1/2 pound lean ground ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce (Your favorite, Ragu, Etc. or use this recipe)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Brown the ground beef, add the tomato sauce and simmer until it thickens a bit, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the cottage cheese over the bottom of a baking dish, followed by the sauce and finally the mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the top is a light golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.