Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
1) Red Bell peppers are just green bell peppers that have been to the vine longer and ripened. They have a sweeter taste. (Sweeeeeet)
2) There are male and female bell peppers. The peppers with three lobes at the bottom are male. (I just have one lobe down there, should I be concerned?) The peppers with four lobes at the bottom are female. The female peppers have many more seeds. They are sweeter and best eaten raw (I’m going to refrain from the eating the female joke here in case any kids are reading. Use your imagination). Male bell peppers are better for baked dishes.
3) Bell peppers are fruits, not vegetables (you had me fooled!)
4) The scientific name for bell peppers is Capsicum annum (giggles). In Austalia they just call them Capsicum (giggles again)
5) Even though they are both called pepper, bell peppers are not related to the plant that produces black pepper (I guess pepper is the Smith or Johnson of the plant world)
For a modern and healthier spin on stuffed bell peppers click here
Stuffed Bell Peppers
3 large green bell peppers
15 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup cooked brown or white rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1) Cut off tops of bell peppers and remove seeds from inside
2) Dice enough of the tops for 1/4 cup of diced bell peppers and set aside
3) Cook the whole bell pepper in boiling water for about five minutes and drain, sprinkle the inside of bell peppers with salt
4) In a skillet brown the ground beef and add in onion, diced bell peppers, garlic powder, and tomato sauce
5) In a separate pot boil water and add rice. Cook until ride is soft and drain water.
6) Combine ride a ground beef mixture, mixing slowly.
7) Stuff bell peppers with the mixture
8) Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.